Pay a Bill / Report an Outage  |  Start Service  |  Peak Day Status

New Construction Process

I'm needing new service. What do I do first?

Contact PEC at (580) 332-3031 or toll free within our service area at 1-877-456-3031 to discuss your needs with a PEC Representative.  Your Representative will ask for your legal description and name of closest neighbor along with information about the size and type of home you will build.  If anything about your job changes after this initial call (such as site location, size of equipment, etc.) please contact your PEC Representative.

How much will construction cost?

A PEC Staking Engineer will visit your location to discuss building location, type of service, terrain, and other factors that may influence the cost of construction. This is a free service provided by PEC so we may provide you with an accurate quote of building your service.  PEC may provide a credit toward this cost.  See below for more information.

Do I need to pay all costs upfront?

People’s Electric Cooperative may provide a credit of up to $1800 to offset a portion of the cost of constructing power lines to a new residence.

Here’s how it works:

1. Up to $1800 of your payment for the new power line will be set aside in a Construction Deposit account. Note: You can avoid paying this Construction Deposit if you meet the permanent requirements prior to construction (see below). 

2. If, within the term of the contract date, the permanent requirements are met at the residence, the amount (plus interest) set aside in the construction deposit account will be refunded to you as long as the construction deposit is paid up front and is not on an approved pay-out plan. 

The following permanent requirements must be met to avoid a construction deposit or to receive a refund:

1. The member must be the landowner. 

2. Water must be installed (city, rural, well, or water tap fee paid receipt). 

3. Sewer must be installed (city, septic, lagoon, or copy of a perk test). 

4. A stationary foundation must be completed (poured concrete slab or piers). 

5.Occupancy of the dwelling will be permanent and year- round (residence). 

Mobile homes must meet the criteria below:

1. #’s 1, 2, 3, and 5 from above. 

2. Tongue, wheels and axles must be removed.

Note: Once permanent requirements are met, the member must contact Customer Service at (580) 332-3031 or (877) 456-3031, to request a refund. Please note that this section applies to construction costs and not membership fees, meter deposits, or requested products and services, if applicable. 

How far away do I need to build from a power pole?

For your safety, PEC recommends to build at least the length of a power pole (around 40 feet).

How do I know where my job is in the electrical construction process?

PEC Representatives are updated twice each week as to the status of each job.  Due to the pre-construction process, however, PEC Representatives will NOT have any information on your job until 4 weeks after we receive your documents and payment for construction.  Please feel free to contact us any time after the pre-construction 4-week process for a status update of your job.

Will PEC install a new meter & service to my new shop building?

Yes. Contact your PEC Representative to schedule new service.

Can PEC move existing overhead or underground lines at the customer's expense?

Contact your PEC Representative to schedule and plan for moving of lines.

Will PEC set my temporary pole for construction?

Each customer is responsible for setting his or her temporary pole. Click here to view temporary pole guidelines.

How can I get underground service?

After PEC determines your need for underground service and temporary service is complete, please have the appropriate service entrance installed.  Once your electrician has completed this task, contact your PEC Representative to schedule underground service.

Do I purchase my own meter base?

PEC will supply the meter base at no charge.  However, PEC will not supply the meter base for a temporary pole.  Meter bases can be picked up at PEC's offices.

Is there a charge for setting a pole for a security light?

Customers in good standing with the Cooperative pay nothing for new security light poles.  Customer who have a history of late payment may post a $500 pole deposit.

Can I have an on/off switch placed on a security light?

Yes.  An on/off switch is $75.00 and can be added to your electric bill.  A PEC Line Technician will install this device.  The standard security light kilowatt hours will apply.