Four Common Culprits of Electrical Fires

May is National Electrical Safety Month, which is the perfect time to evaluate the safety of your home’s electrical system. Outdated wiring and overloaded circuits are the most common causes of electrical fires. Check the following areas of your home to ensure your home’s electrical safety is up to par.

outletElectrical Outlets

Faulty electrical outlets are a leading cause of home fires. As outlets age, so do the wires behind them that you can’t see. Any loose, damaged or warm-to-the-touch outlets should be repaired or replaced.

ripped plugElectrical Wiring

Outdated wiring is another common cause of electrical fires. Frequently tripped breakers, flickering lights, and burning smells are clear warning signs. If your home is more than 20 years old, it may not be able to handle today’s increased power load. If you suspect your home’s wiring is outdated, leave this one to the pros and contact a qualified electrician.

overloaded outletsOverloaded Cords & Outlets

Extension cords are not permanent solutions. If your big-screen TV, home theater system, and other electronics are plugged into one extension cord, it’s time to call an electrician and install additional outlets.

fridgeOld Appliances

Older appliances are more likely to have loose or damaged wiring, which means they’re more likely to catch fire. Check older appliances for damage and determine if it’s time to upgrade or replace. Also, check to ensure you’re using appliance-grade outlets. A qualified electrician can help with installation.