People’s Electric Cooperative (PEC) understands the need for electricity is vital to building your new home. We will be here each step of the way to ensure the process of electric installation to your building site is timely and accurate.
While most of your questions can be answered through this site, please feel free to:
- Contact us any time at (580) 332-3031, or toll-free within our service area at (877) 456-3031
- Visit our Construction FAQ’s page
- Visit YouTube to watch a short video about the new construction process
Important: Should you wish to assist in clearing Right-of-Way, obtaining easements from neighbors, and other tasks to speed up the construction process, please contact PEC’s Construction Services department by calling (580) 332-3031 during regular office hours.
Apply for New Construction or Service Upgrades
Building a new home or upgrading existing service? Our Construction Services team is ready to assist. To begin the application process, apply online.
Your Construction Job Step by Step Typical Timeline
(subject to weather and rights-of-way conditions)
- Contact PEC's New Construction department at (580) 332-3031 or toll-free within our service area at (877) 456-3031 to discuss your needs and schedule a meeting with a PEC engineer.
- We will ask for your legal description along with information about the size and type of home you will build.
- If anything about your job changes after this initial call (such as site location, size of equipment, etc.) please contact your PEC Representative.
- A PEC Engineer will visit your location to discuss building location, type of service, terrain, and other factors that may influence the cost of construction.
- This is a free, one-time service provided by PEC so we may provide you with an accurate quote for building your service.
- Remember, a portion of your total payment may be refunded once permanent residential requirements have been met.
- Submit necessary documents and payment for your construction job.
- Construction will begin four to six weeks after all required documents and any payment (if applicable) have been received, as well as any necessary permits or easements are obtained.
- During this phase of construction, an engineer will revisit your site location to create an electronic staking sheet designed specifically for your job.
- He will then submit recommendations to other personnel involved in completing your service.
- The pre-construction process usually takes three to four weeks. After this time, new construction representatives will have a better idea of when construction will begin.
- As a result, if you have questions regarding the timing or completion of your job, we encourage you to wait until four weeks after you have submitted payment before contacting our New Construction Department for this information.
Important: Should you wish to assist in clearing right-of-way, obtaining easements from neighbors, and other tasks to speed up the construction process, please contact PEC's Construction Services department by calling (580) 332-3031 during regular office hours.
Spec Sheets You May Need
- Clearing Right-of-Way Guide (PDF)
- Meter Pedestal Spec Sheet (PDF)
- Guidelines for Mobile Home Service: Materials furnished by Consumer (PDF)
- Guidelines for Mobile Home Service: Underground and Overhead Distribution Specs (PDF)
- Temporary Saw Pole Spec Sheet (PDF)
- Underground Service Requirements (PDF)
During this time, PEC is busy clearing rights-of-way, setting poles, and constructing your electrical job.
- Depending on the nature of your job and weather, this process may take as little as a few days to several weeks.
- On average, this process takes four to six weeks (contingent on several factors).
- The engineer or New Construction Representative will give you an idea of this during your job evaluation.
Congratulations on your new service!
- Once PEC has completed construction and once your electrician has completed your side of the installation, please contact PEC for a permanent tie-in of service.
- At this time, you may also wish to confirm your Qualified Residential Applicant (QRA) Status to receive a portion of your construction charges back.
Rebates & Membership Benefits
Remember, with PEC you are a member of a cooperative – a cooperative committed to serving you. Be sure and take advantage of our products and services. Did you install an electric water heater or heat pump? Be sure to let us know! We pay rebates directly to you for either of these items.
Read the monthly People’s Powerline included with your monthly electric statement or online for more information. If you would like to learn more about Construction Rebates on qualified energy-efficient heat pumps, water heaters or whole home generators, visit our Rebates page.