Are you a member in need of free wood mulch or firewood?
Let us add you to our list! Here at People’s Electric Cooperative (PEC), we don’t wait until the holidays come around – we give back to our community year-round.
As PEC’s Vegetation and Environmental Services Department goes about their duty to maintain distribution and transmission lines throughout our eleven county service areas, we accumulate lots of extra wood chips and firewood.
Members who would like to receive either (or both) of these free resources are asked to please call Lee McElroy at (580) 559-8482 or complete the online member list form. You will be placed on a list that PEC trimming crews will refer to and if they are trimming in your area, the crew foreman will call and arrange a drop-off.
Important: Please provide your name, phone number, and PEC account number.
Advantages of Wood Mulch
- Using wood mulch benefits the environment because waste wood goes into the garden instead of a landfill.
- Wood mulch is economical, readily available, and easy to apply and remove. It isn’t blown around by winds like lightweight mulches.
- When it no longer looks its best, you can compost it or work it directly into the soil. A 1990 study that rated 15 organic mulches found that wood chips came in top in three important categories:
- Moisture retention: Covering the soil with two inches of wood mulch slows moisture evaporation from the soil.
- Temperature moderation: Wood chips block the sun and help keep the soil cool.
- Weed control: Weeds have difficulty emerging from beneath a cover of wood chips.